greenbeen seeks advice

wyatt stafford wyatts at onr.com
Fri Jul 13 12:33:10 EDT 2001

Preamble:

I am a computer/network support person who has decided to start programming
for a vocation (no previous experience beyond minor scripting, etc).  After
some research I selected Python as a good place to start.  I bought "Learn
to Program using Python" (Gauld) and "Quick Python" (Harms/McDonald).  Also
checking out the tutorial, and other good info at www.python.org.    I have
a leaping, intuitive learning style given to missing the obvious, so I am
concerned about having fatal gaps in my learning via home schooling plan.

Questions:

Beyond those mentioned above, may I have any recommendations for self study
resources (books, etc) or techniques that will help me be a good programmer,
in general?

Do I need to know what is taught in CompSci 101/102/etc, to be great?

thanks and happy weekend to all,
wyatt

"Oh, that's not what I call bingeing"