Python for air traffic control?

Michael Ströder michael at stroeder.com
Thu Jul 5 05:57:09 EDT 2001

Russ wrote:

> Do you think PyChecker could ever be sophisticated enough to do static
> type checking?

Inspired by this thread I played with PyChecker yesterday on my
rather small project. I enjoyed finding some obsolete module imports
and variable declarations.
But some reported errors pointed to perfectly valid and intended
code. I could switch on and off some of the checks. But that's not
really helpful.

I would be very careful with these kind of tools which check for
errors *after* the program passed syntax checking. They are useful
to do checks you should have done on your own but forgot to do.

For really safe systems I'd prefer a programming language where the
program is not runnable at all if the rules are violated which are
usually checked by lint-like tools. I even would claim that it takes
much less to time to let the compiler impose strict rules than check
for them later.

Ciao, Michael.