Language change and code breaks

Travis Oliphant oliphant at ee.byu.edu
Mon Jul 23 16:37:06 EDT 2001

> > As a member of this group, who is especially fond of Python for how
> > easy it is to pick up where I left off days or weeks before, I would
> > very much prefer a case *insensitive* language with tools that
> > enforce *uniform* case usage.
>
> And that's of course what I have in mind.
>
> > Nobody wants to see fOo and FOO and foo with the same meaning, but
> > nobody wants to see foo and FOO and foo at all in the same program
> > with distinct meanings.  I also don't think the cutesy c=C() makes
> > for readable code -- at least for this sometime programmer.

I'll just chime in to say that as one who uses Python for
science/engineering, I would be very unhappy not to be able to define the
variables h and H to mean two different things.  Engineers often uses
case to distinguish between the function and it's Fourier transform for
example.

But, this has been brought up before...

-Travis Oliphant