Unix Scripting Host

Martin von Loewis loewis at informatik.hu-berlin.de
Sun Jul 1 07:28:54 EDT 2001

gerhard.nospam at bigfoot.de (Gerhard =?iso-8859-1?Q?H=E4ring?=) writes:

> The closest thing I could find was XPCOM from the Mozilla project. I
> thought that KDE2 or GNOME might offer this already, but I didn't
> find anything (except the relatively heavyweight CORBA approach).

If you wanted to create a scripting host API for Unix, I'd suggest
that CORBA is just right for the problem. It will allow to integrate
arbitrary interpreters using separate processes; all you need is a
CORBA implementation for the scripting language - which is available
for the major ones. It also allows you to integrate the interpreter
in-process for those selected languages that support binary plug-ins,
with minimal changes to the host.

Regards,
Martin