Is there a K&R on Python?

Rupert Scammell rupe at metro.yak.net
Fri Jul 6 18:55:36 EDT 2001

Nicola Musatti <objectway at divalsim.it> wrote in message news:<3B42EEAD.9EE4E7A7 at divalsim.it>...
> Hallo, everybody.
> I'm looking for a Python book to use as a desktop reference on the core
> language (rather than the library, available modules, third party
> toolkits, etc), neither a tutorial nor something meant for language
> lawyers only. Something analogous in style to Kernighan & Ritchie's "The
> C Programming Language" would be perfect. Any suggestions?
>
> Cheers,
> Nicola

Nicola,

First off, don't bother with Mark Lutz's larger book, "Programming
Python" (http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/python2/).  It's big, but
intended to teach the language, and not act as a reference.

However, do get Mark's "Python Pocket Reference"
(http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/pythonpr/).  It's a great, concise
little volume for looking up standard functions, and remembering which
operations are legal for which datatypes.  No frills, no fluff, and as
the title implies, pocket sized, so lots of useful modules aren't
discussed.

Far and away the best Python book that I've seen is David Beazley's
"Python Essential Reference"
(http://www.newriders.com/books/title.cfm?isbn=0735709017), published
by New Riders.  I can't speak highly enough of this book.  Wonderfully
concise, great usage examples, and covers many of the important
modules that Mark Lutz's Pocket Reference lacks.    If you only get a
single book on the language, this is the one.

--- Rupert