maths in programming

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Wed Jul 25 12:51:09 EDT 2001

In article <m6itghkjzz.fsf at maelstrom.maths.bris.ac.uk>, Des Small wrote:
>"Native_MetaL" <Jasper49 at optushome.com.au> writes:
>
>> Hello im new to programming and i have some questions about Maths in
>> programming
>>
>> 1 what type of Maths is used in programming
>
>Very little, in practice.  The kind of discrete maths taught in
>Computer Science courses is not that widely used in practice.

IMO, writing programs is primarily "writing".  If you're good at writing,
you can program.  If you can write clearly and correctly in one language
(e.g. English) and understand that language's grammar and syntax, then you
can learn to write in another language (even a programming one).

>> 2 how good do you have to be at maths to program

Not very.

>> 3 dose all programing have complex maths

No -- very few programs have complex maths.

>> 4 are all programmers Expert's with maths
>> 5 do you need to be an expert with maths to get Employment in
>> programming

No -- you need to be an expert at programming, and you need to understand
the subject about which you are writing programs.

If you write math programs you need to understand math.

If you write process control programs, you need to understand process
control.

If you write telephony programs, you need to understand telelphoney.

However, most employers realize that they will need to train new programmers
in the application-specific knowlege areas.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  It's OKAY -- I'm an
                                  at               INTELLECTUAL, too.