Deposing Dictators

Tim Peters tim.one at home.com
Sat Jul 28 03:14:49 EDT 2001

[Dirck Blaskey]
> I would much rather get the source instead of the executable,
> at least then you have a chance when it breaks, for whatever reason.
>
> I'm aware that this kind of code exists, but personally I don't
> consider it the normal case, nor would I find myself faced with COBOL.
> The closest equivalent I can come up with: I still run into people
> using dBase III.

Time to move into the 21st century, Dirck!  This alternative is often
overlooked:

    http://www.cobolscript.com/

When that site was just getting started, Guido sent them a congratulatory
msg about what a wonderfully well-done joke it was.  Turns out they weren't
kidding -- and boy, was his face red <wink>.

    compute loop_counter = loop_counter +1

will-probably-run-unchanged-until-universal-heat-death-ly y'rs  - tim