Comment on PEP-0238

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Fri Jul 6 15:37:43 EDT 2001

"Edward C. Jones" <edcjones at erols.com> writes:

> I suggest including a program that will read Python code and tell
> the user where all the "/" divisions are in the code.

That's easy enough:

import sys, tokenize
for filename in sys.argv[1:]:
    def tokeneater(type, token, start, end, line, filename=filename):
        if token == "/": print "%s:%d:%s" % (filename, start[0], line),
    tokenize.tokenize(open(filename).readline, tokeneater)

Unfortunately, this doesn't tell you which / operators are ever
applied to *integer* arguments -- no program looking only at the
source can determine that.  That's what the warnings are for.