C/Cygwin/Python

Alexander V. Voinov avv at quasar.ipa.nw.ru
Tue Jul 31 16:53:26 EDT 2001

Hi Jason,

Jason Tishler wrote:

> Yes, but only if your extension does not require Posix semantics (i.e.,
> only the standard C runtime stuff).
>
> IIRC, you want something like the following:
>
>     python setup.py build_ext --compiler=cygwin
>
> Note that I usually only build Cygwin Python extensions,

Do you mean that your extensions are compatible with the standard win32
Python installation, which is built with VC? As I recall the whole point of
special instruction for no-cygwin python extension was that only in this case
they can be loaded into the standard python.exe and you do not have to
recompile the whole distribution. Is this right (meaning that you do compile
the whole distribution)?

Alexander