Long Python programs!

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Fri Jul 13 21:34:54 EDT 2001

James_Althoff at i2.com wrote:

> Again, we are shipping production code with > 100,000 lines of Jython and
> neither "Lack of type safety" (by this I assume you mean "compile-time,
> static, type checking") nor "lack of forcing variable names to be declared
> before use" were problems for us.  So, though I am not against the general
> notion of making it possible to detect errors as early as possible (e.g.,
> at compile time) I don't see today's Python as being unsuitable for large
> program.  In fact, I see Python as being *very* suitable for large
> programs.  And I say this from the perspective of having already written
> large program using Python.  :-)

Jim, your code size is well above what we've produced so far, although
we're working hard to catch up (in a manner of speaking... obviously we
aren't measuring our success by lines of code produced: we use Python!).

I know I could benefit from more information about your development
environment, the application under development, and the lessons you've
learned in reaching this stage -- especially in the area of automated
testing.

Would you be able and willing to provide any background on your company's
work on this project?  I'm certainly not the only one interested.

(I understand your company might consider this proprietary and not be
willing to share.  I'm expecting to face the same situation when the
time is ripe for reporting on my own team's success with Python, but
I fully expect to beat people about the mouth and ears until they
understand that bringing something back to the open source community
is part and parcel (morally speaking) of using their products in the
first place.)

--
Peter Hansen, P.Eng.
peter at engcorp.com