Unix Scripting Host

Gerhard Häring gerhard.nospam at bigfoot.de
Sun Jul 8 09:24:34 EDT 2001

Thank you all for your suggestions. I just wanted to make sure that I didn't
forget any alternative. It has become clear that Unix is still lacking support
for a component architecture that supports all of Windows' COM.

My findings currently are:
- DCOP: client side usage is easy; server-side more difficult; KDE only; can
  use XML-RPC instead because KDE has a DCOP-XMLRPC bridge
- SOAP/XML-RPC: very easy to use from Python; much encoding/decoding overhead
- CORBA: very good Python support with omniORBpy; omniORB 4/omniORBpy2 will
  improve performance by taking shortcuts when the C++ and Python code is in
  the same address space (no loopback interface involved)
- XPCOM: still have to get this to work on my machine, but looks promising; no
  wide language support currently available (only C++/Python)

Gerhard
--
mail:   gerhard <at> bigfoot <dot> de       registered Linux user #64239
web:    http://highqualdev.com              public key at homepage