Python for air traffic control?

Roman Suzi rnd at onego.ru
Thu Jul 5 06:03:30 EDT 2001

On Thu, 5 Jul 2001, Roman Suzi wrote:

>>If it's the latter, then perhaps type checking can be done under
>>certain reasonable restrictions. Whatever the case, I want to have my
>>cake and eat it too. :-)
>
>You can add asserts to whatever places to check types:
>
>from types import *
>def add_int(x, y):
>  assert type(x) is IntType and type(y) is IntType
>  return x+y
>
>I can't see how static type-checking could eliminate more
>problems than create, though.

Ooops! When I read it second time I understood my stupidity
saying this.

Large program such as ATC need not be to be implemented in one language!
So there are certain tasks (like system administration) which could be
done better with Python than Ada.

Also, for some code rule-oriented languages could be used
to add some AI.

So, it's not a single-choice!

Python could also be useful for arranging testing data because of it's
text-processing capabilities.

Etc.

Sincerely yours, Roman Suzi
--
_/ Russia _/ Karelia _/ Petrozavodsk _/ rnd at onego.ru _/
_/ Thursday, July 05, 2001 _/ Powered by Linux RedHat 6.2 _/