Debugging extension modules

Gary Richardson garyr at fidalgo.net
Fri Jul 13 11:19:45 EDT 2001

I have a question regarding the technique of debugging C extension modules.
I'm using the ActiveState IDE and MSVS 6.0. I place the C code for a module
in one directory and the Python test code that uses it in another. After
building the module I copy the DLL to the directory containing the test
code and try it out. However, if I have to make a change in the C code I
find that I can't delete or overwrite the DLL file unless I exit the IDE. If
I start Python from DOS, import the module and do some testing I must exit
Python before I can delete the DLL. Is there a way to delete the DLL file
without having to exit the IDE or Python?