A use for integer quotients

Aahz Maruch aahz at panix.com
Sat Jul 28 01:28:06 EDT 2001

In article <mailman.995862939.15013.python-list at python.org>,
Moshe Zadka  <moshez at zadka.site.co.il> wrote:
>On Sun, 22 Jul 2001 21:05:47 -0700, Erik Max Francis <max at alcyone.com> wrote:
>>
>> The serious problem I see here is backward compatibility.  I shudder to
>> think at the volume of preexisting, long-standing code that this will
>> quietly break
>
>Quietly? Note that in the 2.2 release, there will be *no* change except
>that you *can* use //, and the only change is if you
>"from __future__ import division".
>In 2.3, as I understand it, you'll be able to get warnings out when you
>are doing something whose semantics will change.

Yup, quietly.  What happens in Python 2.6, after the changeover is
complete?  Never in the past has there been a change of such great scope
with such a potential for quiet breakage.

Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6                 http://www.rahul.net/aahz/

Fortune cookie: Watch your relations with other people carefully, be reserved.