Cross-platform GUI app -- Tkinter?

Steve R. Hastings steveha at animal.blarg.net
Mon Jul 16 18:00:27 EDT 2001

Mark 'Kamikaze' Hughes (kamikaze at kuoi.asui.uidaho.edu) wrote:
> if the expensive book is John Grayson's _Python and
> Tkinter Programming_, get it now, it's a damn fine book.

Thanks for the tip.  I took your advice and got it.

I checked www.amazon.com, and found that they offer the Grayson book for
20% off--an even better deal than the sale at the store!--so I ordered the
book from Amazon.

>   If what you want is portability, though, Python's probably more
> portable than Java

Okay.  I thought Java bytecodes were my best hope for cross-platform
compatibility... but Python has its own bytecodes, doesn't it!

Suppose I wanted a program to be runnable on platforms like BSD, PowerPC
Linux, PowerPC BSD, etc. without having to build on each of those.  If I
were to distribute .pyo files, and users of all those platforms already had
Python installed on their systems, could I build and distribute a single
.pyo file?

If I do this project, I will directly support Win32, Mac, and x86 Linux.
But I was hoping I could also distribute something that would be portable
for everyone else outside these three platforms.  If .pyo files are
cross-platform, then they are the solution I wanted.

The project I have in mind is a game, and I would use the Pygame library (a
Python layer over SDL).  But I would like the game to run in a well-behaved
window, with pull-down menus and dialogs and such, rather than taking over
the whole screen as some SDL games do.  Thus my interest in Tkinter.
--
Steve R. Hastings		"Vita est"
steve at hastings.org		http://www.blarg.net/~steveha