Most important text processing examples

Andrew Kuchling akuchlin at mems-exchange.org
Thu Jul 5 17:55:39 EDT 2001

Chris Barker <chrishbarker at home.net> writes:
> Anyone writing a computer book should read this:
> http://philip.greenspun.com/wtr/dead-trees/story.html
> It's interesting (and humorous) reading for the rest of us as well.

Indeed; that page cured me of my desire to write a book for physical
publication.  Sure, there's the ego-thrill of a big wad of paper with
your name on the front, but it also means you have to work to a
deadline, errors in the final product can't be corrected, and you have
to cope with potentially clueless editorial interference (sure, maybe
your editor will offer lots of good suggestions -- what if they
don't?).  Putting things on Web pages, you can fix errors whenever you
like, write sections whenever you like, and can get direct feedback
directly from readers; the advantages are all in the Web's favor.

--amk