A modest PEP0238 suggestion

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Wed Jul 25 11:27:33 EDT 2001

In article <cpzo9ta9el.fsf at cj20424-a.reston1.va.home.com>, Guido van Rossum wrote:
>Stephen Horne <steve at lurking.demon.co.uk> writes:
>
>> More important is all the software that is somehow in-the-field - a
>> VERY serious problem.
>
>You can always use the solution that works so well in many other
>situations: don't upgrade Python, or at least keep a copy of Python
>1.5.2 or 2.1 around, and use that for your unconverted code.  This is
>a very common solution.

The problem is that it's not _us_ (people who write Python programs) who
decide what version of Python is running on a system.  It's out customers
and the poeple who ship Linux distros.  I have no control over what version
of Python is running on a customer's machine.  I don't get to decide "don't
upgrade." When RedHat starts shipping with Python X.Y, then my programs have
to run under Python X.Y whether I like it or not.  Meanwhile there are still
plenty of customers running the old version -- I can't tell them to upgrade
any more than I can tell others to upgrade.

You may not like it, but Python is now being used in the real world to do
real work...

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  World War III? No
                                  at               thanks!