2.0 or 2.1 on win32

Aahz Maruch aahz at panix.com
Sat Jul 28 01:22:37 EDT 2001

In article <h5F67.47313$C81.4027272 at bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
douglas savitsky <dsavitsk at e-coli.net> wrote:

>i am installing a new server and i need to know if there is reason to
>install either 2.0 or 2.1 or any other version.  The server is win2k (2
>1GHZ, 512, raid, etc.).  the clients are also win2k.
>
>the applications that run on the clients connect the the server via DCOM.
>the python running on the server connects to other objects sometimes with
>COM and sometimes not.  the clients use 2.0 as there seems to be some
>weirdness in 2.1/tkinter on windows, but there won't be any tkinter on the
>server.  so, should i stick with 2.0 on the server as well? are there
>stability issues or compatability issues to be aware of with other versions?

I'd say for starters that the question should be "2.0.1 or 2.1.1?"

Overall, my personal preference is to deal with cross-version issues as
little as possible, so if your clients are using 2.0.1, the server
should, too.  (And, yes, I do definitely recommend upgrading the clients
if possible.)

Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6                 http://www.rahul.net/aahz/

Fortune cookie: Watch your relations with other people carefully, be reserved.