proposed language change to int/int==float (was: PEP0238 lament)

William Tanksley wtanksle at dolphin.openprojects.net
Wed Jul 25 15:12:45 EDT 2001

On Wed, 25 Jul 2001 04:18:35 GMT, Guido van Rossum wrote:
>Thanks.  I am baffled by the many claims that for mathematicians 1/2
>equals zero; I've never met such a mathematicians.

Perhaps the best solution would be to make Python's integers actually be
the field of integers mod 4294967291 (not too much of a change -- they're
currently very similar to the integers mod 4294967295).  The best of all
worlds -- divisions no longer have remainders, and everything's exact
again.

>--Guido van Rossum (home page: http://www.python.org/~guido/)

and-writing-the-log-function-becomes-a-lot-more-fun-ly yr's

--
-William "Billy" Tanksley