PEP0238 lament

Andy Salnikov salnikov at inp.nsk.su
Sun Jul 22 23:42:10 EDT 2001

"Robin Becker" <robin at jessikat.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
news:vyIKbWAP62W7EwC+ at jessikat.fsnet.co.uk...

> I think that is wrong, but I use python in a professional capacity. I
> think languages succeed or fail because they work for programmers.

Yeah, completely agree. Personaly, if this change happens, it will be a big
revolt from Python for me. Not only for aesthetic reasons, simply because I
cannot rely on the language which dares to change the meaning of existing
operators. What do you think will be next? Change assignment to work like a
copy, because there are many people confused with the reference semantic? I
almost hear how manager staff saying: "Do you talk about that sh**ty snake
language which changes its rules every year? Don't even think about it in
our project!"

Guys, if you really need something returning floats for division, make it
new operator, I guess everyone could be made happy with 1/2 == 0 and 1//2 ==
0.5.

Cheers,
Andy.