user level can't bind socket address & port

Radovan Garabik spam at melkor.dnp.fmph.uniba.sk
Tue Jul 24 03:11:18 EDT 2001

"ąčÇöąš" <k5r2a at chollian.net> wrote:
 : hi, all

 : as the title user level can't bind socket address & port

 : for example,
 :    sock = socket.socket(socket.AF_INET, socket.SOCK_DGRAM)
 :    sock.bind((iface, port))

 : if i login user level, python interpreter generate error message like that
 : "    sock.bind((iface, port))
 :     socket.error: (13, 'Permission denied') "

 : How can I bind socket user level.

 : please send comment......

1) what OS are you using?
2) by any chance, is your port < 1024 ?

If the answer to 1) is UNIX-like, and the answer to 2) yes, then
what you experience is the expected behaviour. Either run the
script as superuser (ewww...), or use authbind
(http://packages.debian.org/authbind), or some relevant kernel
modification.

| Radovan Garabik  http://melkor.dnp.fmph.uniba.sk/~garabik |