Comment on PEP-0238

Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk qrczak at knm.org.pl
Mon Jul 9 06:25:55 EDT 2001

Sun, 8 Jul 2001 18:19:01 -0400, Tim Peters <tim.one at home.com> pisze:

> BTW, state-of-the-art rational support also requires context, to determine
> whether results should be reduced to lowest terms (some programs run 1000s
> of times faster if you don't, others 1000s of times faster if you do, and
> only the algorithm author can know which is better).

If such context affects only performance, then maybe it's acceptable,
but if it affects essential semantics, I'm worried that it's a bad idea
to introduce global state where it doesn't exist in the problem domain.

The more global settings affect the meaning of a piece of code, the
harder is to use independent modules together and to understand code
in isolation.

--
 __("<  Marcin Kowalczyk * qrczak at knm.org.pl http://qrczak.ids.net.pl/
 \__/