proposed language change to int/int==float (was: PEP0238 lament)

Steve Horne sh at ttsoftware.co.uk
Tue Jul 24 11:19:49 EDT 2001

I hate countering arguments from someone who supports my opinion,
but...

On 24 Jul 2001 08:35:51 -0400, com-nospam at ccraig.org (Christopher A.
Craig) wrote:

>As examples:
>
><list>*<list> raises a TypeError

Given that other arithmetic operations have been hijacked for other
jobs (concat etc) with lists, there *is* no sensible meaning for this.
In another universe, interpreting lists as vectors might have been
handy I suppose - but not really an everyday case I'd have thought.

><int>**<negative int> raises a ValueError

I believe Guido is already changing this.

><rational>**<rational> would presumably raise a TypeError

Or give a symbolic result ;-)

--
Steve Horne
Home : steve at lurking.demon.co.uk