Language change and code breaks (fwd)

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Wed Jul 18 19:27:21 EDT 2001

Bjorn Pettersen wrote:
> From: Nick Efford [mailto:nde at comp.leeds.ac.uk]
> > Any web hoster worth its salt should at least run old and new
> > versions of the s/w in parallel and provide clients with the
> > opportunity to test programs in the new environment before
> > migrating.
>
> But being a web hoster, with no knowledge about Python, would _you_
> expect a version change from 2.2 to 2.3 to fundamentally change
> semantics?

I'm pretty sure nobody has seriously proposed making this change
in a non-major revision.  I suspect anyone who might have implied
that would say they weren't really thinking at the time they said
so, and that of course if we went ahead with such a change it would
not cause code breakage in existing code until a major revision
change.

I could be wrong about this though...

--
Peter Hansen, P.Eng.