Norton AV 2001 + popen + WinMe = crash

Kirby Urner urner at alumni.princeton.edu
Wed Jul 25 05:53:05 EDT 2001

"Tim Peters" <tim.one at home.com> wrote:

>BTW, are you running Win98?  IIRC, only Win98 systems suffered this
>problem -- but not *all* Win98 systems (for example, not mine; so why did I
>spend months on this?  because of Guido's Win98 box <wink>).
>
>the-virus-stops-here-ly y'rs  - tim

I'm using Millenium Edition (ME).

Before, the NAV2000 popen glitch was very in-your-face in that
simply asking for Help in IDLE triggered it.  But that problem has
indeed gone away.  The browser opens in Help HTML no prob.

In the new chapter, the problem occurs when I explicitly import os
and try to use popen myself at the IDLE command line (in shell
mode).  Whether I get the same crash in a DOS box I don't
know yet (I'd try it now, but don't want to risk a reboot just yet).

So how does IDLE invoke the browser if not with popen and if
it uses popen, then why can't I from the IDLE shell?  The kind
of question that keeps me up at night.

time-for-a-reboot-at-2:52-amly yrs,
Kirby