Pushing the standard library

Roman Suzi rnd at onego.ru
Wed Jul 4 00:33:30 EDT 2001

On Tue, 3 Jul 2001, Gustavo Niemeyer wrote:

>Hello Carlos!
>
>[...]
>> As it's impossible to clone an army of timbots to solve this problem, we
>> must try to find another solution. I don't believe that we can sort this
>> issue without some involvement of PythonLabs and the core Python-dev guys.
>> The problem is not lack of good modules, but lack of *standard* modules. To
>> make a module standard, some level of Python-dev commitment is a *must*.
>[...]
>
>Agreed. Indeed, I think that the first step to start this out is to
>discover which libraries currently have a poor implementation, or which
>ones should start do be developed ASAP. I could start a list right now,
>but I'd probably mention those that I miss in my environment (cvs, etc).
>Maybe somebody from the dev team could tell us where to find the
>"most requested" ones.
>
>Another nice question is, is it time to move some "well-known" libraries
>in the standard set (pil, pynum, etc)!? I'm sorry if this issue has been
>discussed before (urls?). I'd like to understand what should and what
>shouldn't get in the standard library.

Python is more or less compact compared to Java. It will not be good to
add everything into it. So, probably Numeric is worse adding, as it adds
superb arrays capabilities and uses Python syntax more than Python itself
;-)

If there were CPyAN ...

Sincerely yours, Roman Suzi
--
_/ Russia _/ Karelia _/ Petrozavodsk _/ rnd at onego.ru _/
_/ Wednesday, July 04, 2001 _/ Powered by Linux RedHat 6.2 _/