Is anybody coming from Pascal?

David C. Ullrich ullrich at math.okstate.edu
Sat Jul 21 09:49:54 EDT 2001

Well, I may be qualified to answer this one because I
know less C than anyone else here. And in fact the
first "real" language I learned was ObjectPascal.
Two comments:

[i] I _think_ that all your complaints with Python are
just the sort of thing you need to get used to - there's
no real reason the Python way is worse, if you'd learned
Python first then the way Pascal does things would bother
you the same way. I think. (The bit about 5/2 = 2 does
bug a lot of people - that's something they talk about
changing periodically. You should note that 5.0/2 comes
out to 2.5. That won't work so well with variables;
note as well that float(5)/2 is 2.5. Still bugs me,
but even here I suspect that if you'd learned Python
first then you'd be posting to a Pascal group right
now saying what the heck is this stuff where / and
div do the same thing except different.)

[ii] "Object Pascal" actually refers to a few different
things. I'm a big fan of Object Pascal as in Delphi, which
I'm guessing is the Object Pascal you have in mind. But
I don't quite follow why you say you'd like to hear from
people who've tried it. I use both languages a lot, but
for very different sorts of things; I wouldn't regard
either one as a substitute for the other.

David C. Ullrich