Future division patch available (PEP 238)

Stephen Horne steve at lurking.demon.co.uk
Wed Jul 25 03:26:55 EDT 2001

On Tue, 24 Jul 2001 19:40:06 GMT, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org>
wrote:

>I think it will be inevitable for many Pythons to come to provide a
>way to turn off the new division rules.  I am currently working on a
>command line option for this.

How about inference by looking at the extension of the input file.
Either way you create language dialects, but looking at the extension
makes the selection in a way that will generally work here and now.

I assume some applications ignore the standard *.py filename
convention - hopefully rare enough to handle other ways, or maybe a
case for allowing a command line option in addition.