Long Live Python!

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Thu Jul 12 21:45:21 EDT 2001

James_Althoff at i2.com wrote:

> Phil Hunt wrote:
> >On Wed, 11 Jul 2001 17:47:50 -0400, Peter Hansen <peter at engcorp.com>
> wrote:
> >>I tend to think of Python more as an extremely effective and maintainable
> >>general-purpose programming language, which happens also to work
> >>very well when applied as a "scripting language" (whatever that means).
> >
> >To me it means "good for short programs <100 lines". Bear in mind
> >that 100 lines of Python is equivalent to 300 lines of Java or 400
> >lines of C++.
>
> We are shipping a successful product that comprises more than 100,000 lines
> of Jython.
>
> What is it about Python that would, in your experience, make it only "good
> for short programs <100 lines".

In Phil's defense (not that I think he can't speak for himself),
he didn't say "only".  That's your word.  He was just responding to
my parenthetical (whatever that means) in reference to the label
being applied to Python.

I think "good for short programs <100 lines" is not a bad definition
of "scripting language", but I don't think he wasn't saying he
thinks that's all Python is good for.

--
Peter Hansen, P.Eng.
peter at engcorp.com