Distributed computing using SOAP. What about speed ?

André Risnes andre.risnes at tenpipes.no
Thu Jul 26 06:17:37 EDT 2001

"Tim Daneliuk" <tundra at tundraware.com> wrote in message
news:3B5FC733.5186D588 at tundraware.com...

> One really good alternative is transactional queuing with asynchronous
> read/write interfaces to the queues.  I'm wondering if anyone is doing
> anything in this area with Python.

I did something like that for my masters, as part of a protocol
for exchanging control messages for a distributed file system.
The queues where just email queues (which were obviously slow,
but the goal was reliability and asynchrony, not speed).

The system supported plug-in transaction handlers, and a version
of two-phase commit was implemented for it. This 2PC was totally
asynchronous, so it could not survive if the queue dropped messsages.
(i.e. two-army problem). Id did tolarate multiple messages,
however, so a semi-asynchronous version with timeouts and
retransmits would have been extremely reliable.

--
André Risnes