PEP0238 lament

Stephen Horne steve at lurking.demon.co.uk
Mon Jul 23 21:28:50 EDT 2001

On Mon, 23 Jul 2001 18:27:06 -0400, "Tim Peters" <tim at digicool.com>
wrote:

>try-giving-it-a-rest-for-12-hours?-ly y'rs  - tim

Sorry - insomnia brought on by anxiety due to the anticipation of
severe damage to my professional reputation and a lot of unnecessary
work.

If you had as many cases of "£"+str(Amount/100)+"."+str(amount%100)
and similar in your code as I do - most of which I don't even know who
has it or who might have tweaked versions (and I know as an absolute
fact those warnings will either not be seen at all or will be ignored)
you'd be just as pissed of as I am.

I trusted Python and I put myself out on a limb advocating it - and
now that limb is being deliberately broken - and I don't accept that
the change is such an undeniably great idea in the long term, let
alone in the here and now. In my position, how would *you* feel.

I just happened to start keeping track of the newsgroup in the last
couple of days - just in time to see the oncoming disaster, but
apparently too late to do the slightest thing about it. How many
people like me aren't going to find out until *after* everything goes
tits up?