Changing the Division Operator -- PEP 238, rev 1.12

Arthur Siegel ajs at ix.netcom.com
Fri Jul 27 23:11:38 EDT 2001

>Originally, I was uncomfortable with the change.  But now I'm starting
>to warm up to it nicely.  The threads about non-programmers (eg.,
>medical technicians) getting caught by classic division was quite
>compelling.  Sometimes I forget that programming itself isn't the goal.

Would be a lot more compelling were they reports *from* rather than
reports *about*. There probably was once such a technician.  Until
I hear from him (or them), I give the entire sub-thread weight in
range -0 to 0.

Caught how.  Typo and correct. Happened  to be me more than once.
Personally. Typo and 15 minute debug. Personally. At least once.
Are you compelled? Why?

Hearsay is forbidden as evidence in formal proceedings for
good reason. Should be informally forbidden here, IMO.

No opportunity to cross examine, to establish credibility and context.

On the merits only, please.

All of which is without comment as to / or //.  My issues/concerns
have been mostly about process.  Which is why I felt it necessary
to pop in here.

Reasoned PEPs have gone a long way toward calming the waters.

Next time round, hopefully, no Queen for a Day stories.

ART