trouble installing Python-2.2a1.exe

David Bolen db3l at fitlinxx.com
Mon Jul 23 15:23:08 EDT 2001

"Tim Peters" <tim.one at home.com> writes:

> Would you please spell out what you changed?  I saw anther report of this
> symptom, a few months ago (w/ a different installer), but no follow-up.  I'd
> like to know how you cured it so we can help the next person who falls into
> this trap.

Just as another data point - I can't recall for sure about 1.5.2, but
for me under NT 4.0, I believe all the releases since then have given
me an NTVDM error upon startup of the installer - but not a hard
crash, just an error which I can cancel or close.  Cancelling just
continues with the installation fine - successfully so far in all
cases including 2.2a1.

I've seen it in other (older) installation packages as well, and am
presuming that it has something to do with the Wise installer -
perhaps trying to run an internal utility module upon startup that is
a 16-bit application (thus the need to start up NTVDM) and which
doesn't work quite right in all cases.

--
-- David