Python 2 times slower than Perl

Terry Reedy tjreedy at home.com
Thu Jul 19 13:05:56 EDT 2001

> With all respect, why? Other than Usenet fodder what good are these
tests?

;-)
Several years ago, a Dr. Dobbs columnist recommendedd that programmers
check out perl via the site and newgroup to think about getting in on
the cgi boom.  When I did, there was a thread with some comparative
timing test.  Perl beat Python, I sure, but Python caught my attention
with its easy to read syntax.  So I clicked over to python.org and clp
stayed.

> Most readers of this newsgroup already are convinced of Python's
worth, and
> we'll do what we can to spread the word.

If Python gives people a competitive advantage in producing better
programs faster, as it seems to, its usage should continue to grow,
even if slowly.