Why database modules are incomplete

Edward Wilson web2ed at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 10 11:19:36 EDT 2001

Dave:

The way I see it, nobody is going to use a module "trial and error" in
the workplace, especially if they suspect it may be incomplete.  They
are going to use a proven module, or hack one up in their shop's
native tounge.

What would be constructive for Python would be for others to donaite
ther time to testing your work just as you donante your time writing
extensions in the first place.  This gets at the "Workgroup"
mentality/approach I have been talking about.  In other words, it's
not enough for you, working alone to produce a great Sybase extension.
 Rather, those of us who hope to use your module should be willing to
help build it, lending our time as testers.  My personal feeling is
that if ten or twenty folks would jump in and help you out, in a year
(working part-time) Python could have a diamond hardened Sybase
module.  If the same were done with Oracle, SQL Server, and DB2,
Python too could have a serious killer app in the way of db
accessibility.  Python is way cooler than PL/SQL or any other language
used for writing db apps for that matter.

For me being a developer, rarely have I noticed something amazing
produced by a man or woman working alone.  It has been my experience
that most great software is the product of a group's effort.  From
Managers/Leaders/Architects to QA and everything in between--a team is
always better than the one man band variety, especially in the
freeware space where everyone works 20 minutes a day on their pet
project.  (Sure, I know, myself included, we all have soloed some
great code.) Python has had no trouble assembling teams to improve the
langugage, the interpretor, the built-in data-structures ... etc ...
but from the looks of it, Python has hit the wall in duplicating the
same *team* focus/approach in building extension modules.

--
ed