Python & wxPython on Solaris 2.6

Doug Farrell writeson at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 27 14:06:11 EDT 2001

Hi all,

I'm fairly new to the Unix/Linux environment, so bear with me. I'm trying to
get Python and wxPython to run on my Sun/Solaris 2.6 Ultra 5 workstation at
work and I'm having a little trouble. I've gotten gcc from
www.sunfreeware.com and installed that along with glib and gtk+ on the Sun.
I've also installed Python 2.1 from ActiveState since they had a binary
version for the sun that runs. Now I'm trying to install wxGTK+ on the
machine and not having much luck. I've done this:

./configure --with-gtk

and it seems to build a Makefile okay. But when I run make I get errors.
Some of which are caused by space characters where there should only be tabs
in the Makefile. When I fix these I still get errors as it looks like the
Makefile doesn't know how to build all the *.o files.

I'm not sure where to go from here and I'm looking for some help. Can anyone
direct me on how I might get Python and wxPython to work on the Solaris 2.6
platform? I'm trying to evangelize <g> at the office to get people to use
Python rather than Unix shell scripts for our scripting programming
language.

Thanks in advance,
Doug Farrell