Python and DB support (was: Re: Is Python Dead?)

David Bolen db3l at fitlinxx.com
Tue Jul 3 18:41:14 EDT 2001

"Alex Martelli" <aleaxit at yahoo.com> writes:

> *WHY* is it apparently so durned HARD?!  Why do people keep
> saying "ASP" as if it somehow IMPLIED a language choice when
> one can perfectly well run any number of languages even on
> the *SAME SINGLE* Active Server Page?!  Microsoft brainwashing?
> Anti-Microsoft brainwashing?  I don't really understand.
(...)
>                                                But Microsoft
> HAS been highlighting in glow-in-the-dark bright orance that
> THEIR environments are FULLY multi-language, since day one.
> Is Microsoft marketing really SO feeble that they still have
> not been able to get THIS single VERY simple point across?!

As someone who only finally had to deal with ASP pages this year, I
can say that until I started working with it, that I certainly might
have made the same mistake as referring to ASP as if it was more than
just the environment.  It's far more common to see references to
IIS/ASP (both in and out of Microsoft stuff) than to see references to
the actual default scripting language (VBScript?) involved.  At least
I found it so.

It's crystal clear when you actually start using it, but if you're
just talking hypothetically (perhaps the original poster had not
actually done any ASP work), it's pretty easy to make that mistake
IMO.

--
-- David