Long Live Python!

James_Althoff at i2.com James_Althoff at i2.com
Fri Jul 13 15:29:32 EDT 2001

Peter Hansen wrote:
>James_Althoff at i2.com wrote:
>>
>> Phil Hunt wrote:
>> >
>> >To me it means "good for short programs <100 lines". Bear in mind
>> >that 100 lines of Python is equivalent to 300 lines of Java or 400
>> >lines of C++.
>>
>> We are shipping a successful product that comprises more than 100,000
lines
>> of Jython.
>>
>> What is it about Python that would, in your experience, make it only
"good
>> for short programs <100 lines".
>
>In Phil's defense (not that I think he can't speak for himself),
>he didn't say "only".  That's your word.

Granted, I used "only".  On the other hand, if someone says "good for short
programs <100 lines" -- mentioning a specific number ("100" in this case)
-- wouldn't common sense dictate that the intention was also to indicate
something like "Python is something *different than good* for programs
>=100 lines (or let's say *significantly* greater than 100 lines -- to be
reasonable and fair)?

Otherwise, I would think it much simpler and less ambiguous just to say
"Python is good for programs small, medium, and large  -- which is, in
fact, my view!  :-)