Windows shutdown problem

Mike Clarkson support at internetdiscovery.com
Tue Jul 3 16:36:07 EDT 2001

On Tue, 26 Jun 2001 22:23:18 -0700, "John Roth"
<johnroth at ameritech.net> wrote:

>"NJM" <njm at rectec.net> wrote in message
>news:tjhq3pmojkjp8c at corp.supernews.com...
>> My computer locks up in the shutting down screen after I use python.  If I
>> don't use any python, it shuts down fine.
>>
>> Does any one have any ideas??

What version of Python? What version of Windows?  Which executable are
you running python.exe or pythonw.exe? Are you using Tkinter?
What version of Tk/Tcl?

>There's a known problem with Tkinter and the command line in windows 9x and
>ME. It
>doesn't seem to occur in Windows 2000 and equivalent. Nobody knows whether
>it's in
>Tk or Tkinter. As far as I can determine, it only occurs when there's been
>an uncaught
>exception, although I'm certainly not an expert on the subject.

Can you provide more details on "it only occurs when there's been
an uncaught exception".  It sounds like a very good area to look for
the problem - the way Tcl errors are passed back to Python.

>There was a fairly extensive discussion about two weeks ago, titled "IDLE
>bug". See that
>for details. As far as I can tell, it's going to remain until some real
>Windows guru gets
>irritated enough to track it down with the heavy duty debug tools.

Let's get some more info from the original poster - the 'known
problem' is specific to python.exe with Tkinter under windows 9x.

>If it's something other than this, no clue. My system shuts down fine as
>long as I don't
>use anything that throws an exception in Tkinter.

Can you boil it down to  minimal example program of starting Tkinter,
doing something to throw an exception, and then not being able to
shutdown? It would be great to nail this bug down. (And of course:
What version of Python? What version of Windows?  Which executable are
you running python.exe or pythonw.exe? What version of Tk/Tcl?)

Mike.