subclassing Exceptions

Sheila King sheila at spamcop.net
Sun Jul 22 17:14:55 EDT 2001

On Sun, 22 Jul 2001 12:18:17 -0700, Erik Max Francis <max at alcyone.com>
wrote in comp.lang.python in article <3B5B26F9.A2C71182 at alcyone.com>:

:Sheila King wrote:
:
:> I'm trying to see the "big picture". I'm a "big picture" kind of gal.
:> I don't feel comfortable working with just bits and pieces...just enough
:> information (in the information-giver's opinion) for me to get by.
:	...
:> Does this mean there is something wrong with me? Should I be satisfied
:> with the docs only?
:
:Not necessarily, but I'm still not sure what you're asking for.  You say
:you want the "big picture," but your queries seem too general to pin
:down exactly what part of the "big picture" (if any) you're missing,
:particularly since you have access to and have read the library
:reference section on exceptions.Exception.

That's because the "big picture" is the general overview of how the
parent class works. It is a general question, which is why I wanted to
see the source for the class (which is all I originally asked for...a
pointer to the source files...and that question has since been
answered.) Actually, I just downloaded the source for 1.5.2 and am
looking at exceptions.py and am finding it quite enlightening.

This is silly. I'm defending asking to see the source code. ????

:Why not try asking some very specific questions, with code if necessary,
:and see where that takes you?

Believe me, when I get some specific questions I will ask them. I'm sure
there is no shortage of specific questions from me on this list or on
the tutor at python.org list, either.

--
Sheila King
http://www.thinkspot.net/sheila/