Postgres support

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 7 04:07:06 EDT 2001

"Skip Montanaro" <skip at pobox.com> wrote in message

>     Edward> Python needs a ready to use cross database module which
handles
>     Edward> Oracle, DB2, SQL-Server, Sybase, and Informix.  If it handles
>     Edward> Postgres and MsSQL that would be a bonus, however, most $$
gigs
>     Edward> don't use the last two db's much so most of the focus should
be
>     Edward> on the "big five" or at least on the big three (Oracle, DB2,
and
>     Edward> SQL_Server).
>
> I'm not sure there are many Python programmers with the discretionary
funds
> necessary to buy any of the commercial databases you want supported.  That

Microsoft SQL Server could be an exception to this.  Although this fact is
not
well-known, I guess, if you have a license for Visual Studio or Office
Developer
at a sufficient level ('professional' I believe), you also have a license
for SQL
Server Developer Edition (single-user) and MicroSoft Data Engine (MSDE)
which you can redistribute for free with your applications (supports up to 5
simultaneous users).  In other words, anybody who uses MSVC++ or Office
(for development) needs 0$, just a download, to develop for MSQ SQL Server
and even to deploy his or her applications in small-ish situations (up to 5
simultaneous users).  At least, this was the case with SQL Server 7, but I
don't think it changed with the latest releases.  I consider this to be
clever
marketing on Microsoft's part, for once:-).

Alex