Time for a Python distribution? take two.

Bjorn Pettersen BPettersen at NAREX.com
Fri Jul 6 16:17:19 EDT 2001

> From: Chris Barker [mailto:chrishbarker at home.net]

[snip]

> 2) ActiveState is already doing that
>
> Yes, it appears they are, but they have done an unusually bad job of
> advertising it! When I recently upgraded to 2.1, I went to their web
> page, got excited, then saw no mention of Numeric, or PIL, or mxTools,
> or wxPython, so I went and installed these things myself. It turns out
> that I could have installed all of these (except wx) with the pyppm
> tool. Unfortunately, I still haven't found a list of
> available packages, or any docs on how to find that list.

Copyright (C) 2000-2001 ActiveState Tool Corp., All rights reserved.
ActivePython PPM interactive shell (0.1.0) - type 'help' for available
commands.
PPM>help

Documented commands (type help <topic>):
genconfig       help            install         query           querydb
search          set             verify          version

Undocumented commands:
======================
EOF             exit            quit

PPM>help query

 ppm query [--case|nocase] [--abstract|author] PATTERN

Searches for 'PATTERN' (a regular expression) in the name of any
installed
package.  If a search is successful, information about the matching
package(s) is displayed.  If 'PATTERN' is omitted, information about
all installed packages will be displayed.

If either '--abstract' or '--author' is specified, PATTERN will be
searched for in the <ABSTRACT> or <AUTHOR> tags of the installed
packages.

The '--case' and '--nocase' options can be used to override the default
case-sensitivity search settings.

See also: 'case' option.

PPM>query
Numeric [ 19.0.0  ] Numerical Extension to Python
PyXML   [ 0.6.4   ] XML Parsers and API for Python This version of PyXML
was
                    tested with Python 2.0 and 1.5.2.
PIL     [ 1.1.1.0 ] Python Imaging Library