PEP scepticism

Andrew Kuchling akuchlin at mems-exchange.org
Sun Jul 1 21:18:09 EDT 2001

Roy Smith <roy at panix.com> writes:
> Just out of curiosity, how long must one dislike something before that
> dislike graduates from "knee-jerk reaction" to "considered opinion"?
> Having now used python for about 4 years, ...

At that point, it's certainly a considered opinion, because you've
actually used the language and found it to be a problem.  I'm mostly
thinking of people who haven't actually used the language at all, yet
will vociferously maintain that it's an insurmountably bad decision.
(Exhibit A: Slashdot, or at least a subset of Slashdot posters.)  Once
you've written some actual code using Python, if you still think it's
a problem, well, that's fair enough.  There are a few other long-time
users who aren't enamored of the indentation rules, but who grit their
teeth and live with it, so you're not alone.

--amk