Deposing Dictators

Paul Jackson pj at sgi.com
Tue Jul 31 03:44:25 EDT 2001

|> On the other hand, I've never understood the corporate mentality of
|> "The bugs we know are safer than the fixes we don't know".

It comes from (1) avoiding unpleasant surprises to ones boss,
and (2) measuring power by the size of ones organization.

Ongoing work, caused by known bugs perhaps, is good - it
justifies power and budget.  Change is bad, because some
portion of it will have the side affect of provoking fear
and anger in ones boss.

In any case ... coding Python is clearly superior to
any of the above ...

Be grateful that you've "never understood".

(I make no allusions above to any current or recent
boss ... only to ones long past <grin>.)
--

                          I won't rest till it's the best ...
                          Manager, Linux Scalability