Any Suggestions for an Editor with MS-Windows ?

maxx at easynews.com maxx at easynews.com
Tue Jul 24 14:47:50 EDT 2001

On Sat, 21 Jul 2001 23:23:48 -0700, zeke  <Zeke at xyz.net> wrote:

>Am almost half way through the manual and getting ready for the easy
>job of bringing over some basic files (yea, right). Currently using
>Ultra Edit but having doubts about it.
>zeke

I started using UltraEdit around the time I began working with Python. Both
tools came from the concept of using a relatively powerful tool, without a lot
of "expense." Python saved me time by allowing me to write useful scripts
without a great deal of hassle, and UltraEdit provided me a relatively feature
complete Windows based editor, without a major investment in money.

For me, the nice thing about UltraEdit is that is does just what I need it to
do. Many of the competing _commercial_ editors had a great many features that I
do not need, but also came with a high price tag. I do not have much experience
with EMACS or VIM, so I cannot speak to the comparison.

Currently, UltraEdit makes a good standalone development tool for Python. The
publisher of UltraEdit has a Python syntax definition file available for
download. With a few minor tweaks it does very well in terms of highlighting and
indenting. Plus, menu items can be easily added to compile the current script
and report errors, or run and capture output back to the editor.

For a Windows based editor, UltraEdit seems to provide pretty good support for
the cost - although it is not free.

Send me an e-mail if you want the Python config file I use.