Python for air traffic control?

Michael Ströder michael at stroeder.com
Wed Jul 4 18:56:47 EDT 2001

Neil Hodgson wrote:

>    Linting tools can be used to enforce better static type safety than is
> normal with C. Gimpel's PC-lint with the -strong setting will warn about
> mixing variables of different typedef types even when the underlying types
> are the same.

I really wonder why people even consider C to be a strongly typed
language if I have to purchase an extra tool for that. And even if
you bought the tool you have to use the -strong setting. Ouch!

E.g. Turbo Pascal did this ages ago and was much faster while being
strict. Sometimes I have the feeling that things are not really
getting better. I'd guess that if today's OS were written in Modula
2/3 during the 90s instead of C/C++ we would not have all this
repeating security announcements about buffer overflows... (sigh)

Ciao, Michael.