Language change and code breaks

Mark 'Kamikaze' Hughes kamikaze at kuoi.asui.uidaho.edu
Fri Jul 20 19:48:47 EDT 2001

20 Jul 2001 22:08:43 +0200 in <Xns90E4E1E55281Dcliechtimailsch at 62.2.32.50>,
chris liechti <cliechti at mails.ch> spake:
> -i think that you realy have to be a huge fan of python to stay with it
> even if you have to change all the old code if you are one of these "a =
> A()" programmers. well most reader of this group would probably stay but it
> givess python an "incopatibility" touch.

  Who actually names their classes with one-letter names like A or C as
I've seen in this thread?  Anyone?  Didn't think so.

  Actual use is more like:
a = Anything()
c = Cookie()

> -people from scientific and math fields often use "n" and "N" together. or
> "alpha" and "Alpha" because our keyboard has no greek letters. their code
> will need a lot of fixes.

  Unless case-sensitivity is an optional module-level directive.

> ps: couln't a case-insensitive fan not just overrite __getattr__ and
> __setattr__ to be case insensitive at least for class members?

  The people most likely to want the feature are not capable yet of
writing code that hairy.

"I will tell you things that will make you laugh and uncomfortable and really
fucking angry and that no one else is telling you.  What I won't do is bullshit
you.  I'm here for the same thing you are.  The Truth." -Transmetropolitan #39