PEP scepticism

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Sat Jul 7 09:48:04 EDT 2001

Robin Becker wrote:

> The language is evolving as all languages do because of the needs of its
> users. Five years ago the leadership said integer division was good,
> today it's bad; the audience changed is all.

Actually, maybe it's just which audience members are vocal which
has changed recently.

I happen to use Python frequently (almost exclusively) in situations
where it is very valuable to have integer division work the way
it does now.  Floats are only infrequently used.

If I were constantly forced to jump through hoops to make sure
my integers divided like integers (as in, like the CPU designers
intended... not like CS people believe it should work), I would have
a lot more work than I do now.

But until now my voice was silent on the matter.  Perhaps the
reason you think the needs of the users has changed is because
Python suits the needs of some users so well that they don't
feel the need to constantly whine about the fact.  Maybe only
those who have a problem with it are going to make their voice
heard.  (As someone said a few messages back: Well, duh! :-)

--
Peter Hansen, P.Eng.
peter at engcorp.com