Language change and code breaks

phil hunt philh at comuno.freeserve.co.uk
Sat Jul 21 16:37:13 EDT 2001

On Fri, 20 Jul 2001 09:27:44 -0700, James Logajan <JamesL at Lugoj.Com> wrote:
>phil hunt wrote:
>[ Elided. ]
>
>> message = Message()
>>
>> but this is bad practise anyway, IMO.
>
>Why is that bad practice?

Having two identifiers whose names differ only in case.

> What problems do you think this causes?

I don't know, I never use this practise :-)

Confusion between the 2, I suppose.

>I never used that convention much until after I had been exposed to ASN.1,
>where it is a common convention to have identifiers differ from type names
>only by a change of case in the first letter. In ASN.1 type names start with
>upper case and instance names start with lower case. Obviously the ITU
>didn't see any problems with that convention.

I don't know whether ASN.1 is any good; but i do know (having just looked)
the organisation behind it aren't competent to design websites.

--
#===== Philip Hunt == philh at comuno.freeserve.co.uk ======#
    Herbivore: effort-free public key encryption. See: