Eliminating upgrade risk

James C. Ahlstrom jim at interet.com
Thu Jul 26 09:16:01 EDT 2001

Robin Becker wrote:

> If the advice from the Gods is that Python is a 'research' language then
> I'll know better what to do.

I am afraid I have to agree with Robin here.  My company "solved"
this problem by staying with Python 1.5.2.  I do plan to upgrade when
I have the time, but absent any tools to at least flag incompatibilities
this may never happen.

My new Red Hat 7.1 system reports that its Python version is 1.5.2.
Apparently I am not alone.  I believe many Python users are at 1.5.2.

The problem is that the new Python features, as wonderful as they are,
are chosen for Computer Science Purity, not day-to-working-day
importance to someone actually trying to write a widely used bullet
proof program.  The current rate of language change is fine for a
student or casual programmer I'm sure, but I don't have that luxury.

Jim Ahlstrom